Psychiatrist - Corrections
Psychiatrist - Corrections
1. Evaluate and diagnose individuals who are experiencing a psychiatric emergent/urgent or routine condition who are incarcerated.
2. Pharmacological treatment for patients including prescribing medications, as well as providing follow up.
3. Supervise Nurse Practitioners and/or residents as assigned.
4. Coordinate Psychiatric aspects of treatment with the Correctional Mental Health staff (Nurse, Mental Health Specialist, Discharge Planner).
5. Provide clinical supervision and education to Correctional Team.
6. Attend multidisciplinary treatment team meetings and provide consultation by telemedicine and phone when needed.
7. Consult with physicians providing medical care for patients as necessary and assist with communication to them.
8. In conjunction with Correctional Mental Health Services Program Director, create and revise clinical forms and tools as needed.
9. Manage and monitor the use of psychotropic medications in the Correctional Program with the Healthcare Provider (Wellpath).
10.Attend collaborative meetings with the HealthCare Provider (Wellpath).
11.Attend weekly provider meetings and provide education to peers as directed by the agency Medical Director.
12.In conjunction with the Correctional Mental Health Services Program Direcror, actively participate in the Quality Improvement Process to ensure care provided is meeting industry standards.
13.Complete all documentation in a timely manner in the designated electronic health record.
● Responsible for attending all mandatory in-services, continuing education and annual health requirements.
● Comply with all Corporate Compliance policies, practices and procedures. Report all unethical activities to supervisor, Corporate Compliance Office, Values Hotline number or Human Resource Director
● Comply with all OSHA and safety policies, practices, and procedures. Report all unsafe practices or accidents to supervisor, Safety Supervisor and/or OSHA Coordinator.
● Will be compliant with the relevant regulations concerning the privacy and security of consumer’s protected health information (PHI) as established by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
● Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
· Follow all policies and procedures set by the Agency.
Essential skills and experience:
Medical degree (M.D.) in Psychiatry
Essential requirements for the position:
Valid Tennessee Driver’s License
Acceptable Motor Vehicle Report (MVR)
Acceptable Criminal Background Investigation
Personal Automobile Insurance
· Obtains up to date thorough knowledge of psychiatry and psycho-
· High level of communication skills with consumers
· Familiarization with current journals and other published information
· Ability to communicate with different levels of consumers and co-workers
· Good ability to do written evaluations
· Meet deadlines
· Prepared for meetings
· Progress notes and verbal orders are entered timely
· Plan PTO in advance
· Flexibility to adapt to different clinical settings when needed (Routine,
Reporting to this position:
Correctional Services APN