Supports the administration of the radiation safety program, including compliance with all regulating and certifying agencies, training of staff, and supervision of source ordering, handling, waste removal and disposal for radiation oncology. Provides annual radiation safety in-service to radiation oncology staff
Medical Physicist Full Time
Location Address: The individual will be temporarily working remote in this role as a precaution due to COVID.
Join a progressive Physicist-managed team of 5 Physicists and 5 Dosimetrists with a regionalized architecture aimed at quality patient planning and patient QA practices and standardized machine QA approaches. Built in backup coverage and support to foster comradery and prevent burnout. Available tools include regionally shared IBA BluePhantom 2, (2) SNC 1D tanks for annuals, Mapcheck3, IC Profiler and gantry mount, IBA Matrixx, Portal Dosimetry for IMRT/VMAT QA, and an array of chambers and detectors.
Region consists of 4 sites all within an hour’s drive centered around Daytona as the main hub. Linacs include 2 TrueBeams with Align RT, Novalis Tx with ExacTrac, 2 Trilogy’s and an older 2100c with OBI. This role is for covering clinical responsibilities at, 2 of the 4 satellite centers, which are less than 15 miles apart. Total volume between both these sites combined is below 300 new starts annually.
Full Time Days
You will be responsible for:
- Performs the quality assurance of linear accelerators, simulators, and any other radiation therapy treatment device, developing and maintaining a quality assurance program for all treatment modalities.
- Performs weekly chart reviews and other checks of treatment plans.
- Performs dosimetric calculations for external beam radiation oncology, including in-vivo dosimetry and the measurement system.
- Assures the accuracy of treatment unit parameters and settings used for a patient’s treatment, including accurate transfer of planning data between simulator, CT, treatment planning computer and treatment unit.
- Actively participates in developing new programs and technologies such as information management, treatment planning, new modalities.
- Provides medical physics consultation to physicians, staff and patients as needed.
- Performs acceptance testing and commissioning of new equipment.
- Supervises dosimetry and provides training and coverage when necessary.
- Designs and fabricates treatment aids and treatment beam modifiers.
- Assists Director and physician in planning for resource allocation including: Staffing requirements, budget preparation, program operation and continuing review of program’s policies and procedures.
- Provides concise and professional leadership and rapport in dealing with other departments.
- Participates in radiation oncology physics or related medical meetings to receive and disseminate current information.
- May be asked to cover for physicist at other sites within the region.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED: Medical Physicist
: Fluent in the English language.
: Experience/knowledge of computers/networking.
: Effective communication skills.
REQUIREMENTS: Medical Physicist
• Must have a Master's Degree in Radiological Medical Physics or related field; PhD preferred.
• License and registration as required –Primary Source online verification required directly from State of Florida licensing database. Board Certification in therapeutic radiological physics.
• Minimum of five years' experience in Radiation Therapy and progressive experience in all diagnostic imaging functions: radiologic tech, nuclear med, ultrasound tech, computer assisted tomography and radiation therapy training.
• Familiarity with Varian technology including TrueBeam.
• Expertise in treatment planning using Eclipse TPS: 3D, VMAT, IMRT, SRS, SBRT, etc.
• HDR planning using BrachyVision.
• Familiar with Pre-Treatment QA technologies: Portal Dosimetry, MapCheck, etc.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
FACILITY SPECIFIC SECTION
: Wears radiation monitoring device.
: Utilizes computer system within the hospital guidelines, possesses skills in required computer
programs to perform daily job functions, and effectively communicates via e-mail with
: Responsible for maintaining assigned performance improvement initiatives and actively participates
and reports information from committee assignments.
: Encourages positive Standards of Behavior by contributing and promoting positive approaches to
inter/intra-departmental relationships on a daily basis.
: Responsible for all other duties and duty assignments requested within the scope of practice of the
: Continuing education as required by licensing agency and/or certification board