Director of Inpatient Rehab - Nursing
- Responsible for organizing and directing day to day operations of the Inpatient Rehab Unit.
- Provide clinical support to areas of competency.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient population served.
- Provide leadership to staff with global decision making and accountability of standards for self and staff.
- Collaborate with Physicians and other department staff to provide comprehensive care with the focus on positive customer service.
- Coordinate financial goals through appropriate staffing, charge reconciliation and product/cost efficiency.
- Coach and mentor staff to achieve optimal work atmosphere and departmental goals.
- Coordinate CQI and other compliance data collections.
- Review KRONOS daily and make any necessary updates. Document all changes on appropriate forms.
- Approve KRONOS data for final approval. Sign off on this approval by payroll deadline.
- Assess employees’ hours and compare to department volumes by reviewing Productivity Plus and KRONOS.
- Monitor, document and process (through corrective action) absences and tardies. Utilize review of KRONOS for this process.
- Develop or review staffing schedules for department using staffing standards.
Compares 3 components of charge reconciliations (Ameritech, ancillary charges and department logs) daily; investigates any deficiencies; directs corrections of deficiencies and follows up for completion (Daily).
- Review and resolve Bill 45 and 49 issues, applying appropriate modifiers (Daily).
- Participate in SOX audits monthly. Resolve issues with deficiencies.
- Act as a resource and liaison for the Business Office involving other Departments and Directors.
Able to perform Staff Nurse/Tech duties and maintains competencies in the following areas:
- Glucose Monitoring, Drug Administration and Documentation and Job requirement of BLS.
- Monitor monthly department charges.
- Address deficiencies with associates.
- Evaluate product necessity and justify rationale for ordering.
- Assess current availability of supplies/equipment and utilize these before buying.
- Review staffing daily and compare with patient volumes and adjust staff to accommodate variations.
- Assess projected departments for volume and staff making adjustments as needed weekly.
- Act as a liaison for patients who have billing questions and investigate concerns.
- Assess daily overtime and adjust staff if workload allows.
- Prepare department budgets including FTE analysis.
- Assess facility needs for potential service line growth and develop cost analysis for feasibility.
- Provide patient/family education for department customers.
- Assess educational needs for patients, staff and outside programs and develop education materials.
- Review outside sources for literature appropriateness, patient utilization and cost effectiveness.
- Develop and overview educational needs of staff and provide education sessions.
- Serve as a Community Educator available for programs outside the hospital.
- Provide intradepartmental education as related to clinical areas.
- Make departmental rounds daily (more often if department is busy or there are concerns).
- Provide support to staff in dealing with issues on a daily basis.
- Assess staff performance and counsel (corrective action).
- Act as a liaison for patient/family concerns.
- Maintain departmental policies and procedures.
- Coordinate CQI, core measures, NPSG and other required standard collections.
- Participate in hospital wide committees.
- Provide positive encounters with all department customers.
- Set example for staff in providing good customer service.
- Investigate customer service concerns promptly and address with those involved.
- Fulfill obligations quickly and follow through with people involved.
- Determine the need for new positions and posts accordingly into Taleo system.
- Assure competent staff in subordinate functions through staff selection, training and development.
- Interview and select personnel, prepare performance evaluations, recommend promotions, transfers and terminations.
- Direct a variety of personnel actions to include but not limited to hiring, performance appraisals, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers and PTO schedules.
- Manage the orientation, training and instruction of new employees and the continuing education and training of existing employees.
- Manage the supervision of the staff to ensure that standards are being met.
- Oversee the development of policies and procedures to ensure compliance within the department.
- Communicate verbally and in writing in a positive, consistent and open mannered approach with all internal and external customers.
- Meet all licensing, regulatory and accreditation requirements (JACHO, CMS, etc.) and ensure that corrective actions are taken in response to the deficient regulatory compliance findings, when appropriate.
- Responsible for providing leadership and direction in accordance with organization, departmental, regulatory agency philosophies, goals and standards.
- Show organizational skills through effective planning and delegating.
- Constantly seek opportunities to have the department work more efficiently and effectively.
- Develop performance standards and monitor assignments and control staffing levels to meet budgetary guidelines (standards).
- Manage and monitor the department budget.
- Participate with hospital management in making operational decisions, establishing and revising policies and procedures and establishing goals, strategies and tactics.
- Review and approve purchase requests for clinical supplies, equipment, and office supplies.
- Review and approve invoices and expense statements.
- Review and approve IT Security requests for all department employees.
- Maintain and apply knowledge of financial, clinical and office automated applications in computer systems.
- Fulfill other assigned responsibilities, duties and tasks of them not specifically listed within this job description and as directed by employee’s Director or Administrative representative.
- Completion of Nursing school required
- Bachelors in Nursing (BSN) required; Master's in Nursing (MSN) preferred
- BLS required
- Current licensure as an RN in the State of Virginia or compact state required
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in acute care nursing required
- 3 years' management experience as a full-time charge nurse, clinical manager, or Nursing Administrative Supervisor required
- Experience at the Director level preferred
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action when necessary
- Required flexibility in scheduling and ability to work all shift patterns including week-ends and holidays to insure continuity of care and appropriateness of nursing coverage to the cpatients of Sovah Health Danville.