Director of Facilities Management
The Director of Facilities Management directs and coordinates the departmental functions in providing hospital needs for power, lights, heat, air-conditioning and water. This position is well versed in regulatory compliance and will ensure the hospital remains accredited in all areas related to facilities. In addition, he/she shall fulfill general service needs for maintenance of all equipment as well as the grounds and physical plant.
PRIMARY (ESSENTIAL) DUTIES
To fulfill position responsibilities within the policies and procedures of medical center as prescribed, working under the supervision of the COO.
- To assure transmission of light, heat, power and service utilities and the necessary repair and maintenance of said equipment and grounds.
- Advise Administration on matters pertaining to service utilities as well as establishing technical procedures and management functions pertaining to repairs and utilities.
- To provide technical advice and assistance concerning improvements of the hospital plant including landscaping, construction and repair. Work closely with Project Manager – Construction Services, architects and engineers.
- To assist in coordinating efforts and plans in matters pertaining to major construction with the Project Manager.
- To establish priorities for all items of repair and maintenance.
- To assure compliance with all local, State, Federal and insurance codes with regard to requirements in the operation and maintenance of all boilers, generators, pumps, auxiliary equipment, buildings and construction.
- Assure compliance with all safety regulations in the operation of high-pressure equipment as well as other departmental functions within guidelines established by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Is responsible on a total hospital-wide scale as Safety Officer and Fire Response Team Leader.
- Maintains a complete file of parts manuals and operating instructions pertinent to the operation of plant equipment.
- Maintains a complete and accurate file of blueprints as provided by architects, engineers and contractors.
- Is responsible for the cleanliness and general housekeeping of all engineering spaces.
- Is responsible for the assignment, training and supervision of all department personnel as well as the inter and intra departmental relations.
- Prepares the department operating and capital budget for maintenance and security; striving to achieve the best service from the department for the least cost.
- Serves as the Chairman of the Safety Committee and will participate in all Department Director meetings and activities.
- Develops a stable, competent work force through proper screening of applicants and proper training.
- Schedules shifts of maintenance personnel.
- Schedules repairs and work with personnel and/or departments in the Medical Center.
- Handles personnel matters pertaining to employment, evaluations, training, termination and grievances of maintenance personnel within the Human Resource policies of hospital.
- Coordinates work with the Project Manager and contractors in the course of construction projects to assure uninterrupted services to the Medical Center.
- Develops and plans work for small in-house renovation projects and supervises in-house construction crew.
High School Diploma or GED or better.
Bachelors or better in Engineering.
Must be a high school graduate and have a journeyman rating in a related trade or equivalency of a sufficient number of years of practical on-the-job experience to provide the necessary background. Must have completed courses in management training and some form of vocational education desirable.
Must have a least five years' of practical engineering experience in various areas of hospital engineering, i.e., boiler operation, electrical systems and mechanical systems and have 3 to 5 years of management experience in a hospital facility.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering preferred.
ASHE certification preferred.