Location : Springfield IL 75460
Job Type : Direct
Reference Code : 16716
Hours : Full Time
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Category : Laboratory
Job Description :
We have a client in Springfield, IL who is looking for a Cytotechnologist to add to its team.
SHIFT: Days; 7a-3:30p, No weekends
- Performs microscopic evaluation of prepared cytologic specimens from patients of all ages.
- Provides technical support for the cytology laboratory by managing all aspects of the cytology specimen workflow including receipt, accessioning, processing, staining, cover-glass mounting, laboratory information system (LIS) resulting and reporting.
- Performs cytologic-based molecular testing (HPV) including result integration into the cytology report.
- Performs or supports fine-needle aspiration and core biopsy adequacy procedures.
- Additional supporting responsibilities include telephone/fax communication, slide transport and filing, reagent manufacture, routine equipment maintenance/calibration, quality control and quality assurance.
- Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills, preferably with knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Moderate physical effort.
- Able to pass a visual color discrimination test
- Performs initial cytological evaluation of gynecological (SurePath and conventional) specimens.
- Performs initial cytological evaluation of non-gynecological specimen preparations including fine needle aspirations and special stains.
- Results and reports (when appropriate) cytologic specimen findings into LIS.
- Performs cytology-based molecular pathology testing (HPV).
- Integrates cytology-based molecular test (HPV) results into the cytology report.
- Performs quality control evaluation of specimens and stains in the cytopreparatory area providing processing guidance to the cytopreparatory technologist on a rotational basis.
- Assumes the duties of the cytopreparatory technologist when necessary
- Provides secretarial support (when needed).
- Technologists not on FNA-Biopsy Team will support FNA-Biopsy Team in performing fine-needle aspiration/biopsy adequacy procedures.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Performs or supports cytopathologist on FNA/core biopsy adequacy procedures on a weekly rotational basis.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Collects specimens for additional studies during FNA/BX procedures.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Maintains all competencies and education related to FNA/BX procedures, including telecytopathology.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Accessions, stains, and performs initial cytologic evaluation on all cases performed during an FNA adequacy procedure.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Maintains all stains, materials, and FNA carts utilized during FNA procedures.
- FNA-Biopsy Team: Updates and maintains all databases and logs related to FNA/BX specimen workflow and quality assurance.
- Follows established standards and practices set-forth in related safety, operation, and procedure manuals for all associated federal, state, and regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains and stays current on all related and assigned competencies and computer-based learning (CBL) modules.
- Promotes an attitude of teamwork and effective communication and rapport with management and staff of Memorial Laboratory Services, Memorial Medical Center, and Memorial Health Systems including its affiliates.
- Maintains confidentiality of all information regarding patients according to hospital policy and federal HIPAA regulations.
- Conforms to MHS mission, vision, and values including its strategic plan and philosophy regarding the Behavioral Standards.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
Required Qualifications :
- Baccalaureate degree in Cytotechnology or science related degree
- Successful completion of a CAAHEP accredited Cytotechnology program
- Active CT (ASCP) Certification by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC) is required
- A SCT(ASCP) certification is suggested for FNA/core biopsy adequacy performance
- In order to perform rapid on site evaluation of FNA/core needle biopsies, cytotechnologists will be required to pass all tests and competencies established by the cytopathology technical director for the selected procedures
Skills :ASCP CERTIFICATION BLOOD BANK LABORATORY MICROBIOLOGY NCA TESTING