CMO Chief Medical Officer
Location : Missoula MT 59804
Job Type : Direct
Hours : Full Time
Required Years of Experience : 15
Required Education : MD Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree required
Travel : No
Relocation : No
Job Industry : Healthcare - Health Services
Job Category : Physician
Job Description :
The Chief Medical Officer (CMO) reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with additional direct reporting responsibilities to the Group Leadership and the CMO of the company. The CMO plays a key role in building and maintaining relationships between hospital management and the medical staff, as well as recruiting new physicians. In addition, the CMO collaborates with Administration and leads in clinical transformation efforts to improve patient care quality and safety and overall clinical effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provides leadership and expertise for hospital quality and clinical effectiveness.
- Develops facility Chief Medical Officers.
- Provides leadership and expertise for graduate medical education, including medical students and residents.
- Evaluates and optimizes the care management approach, process of disease management, patient satisfaction, patient safety and develops processes to assure appropriateness of care including length of stay and ancillary resource utilization.
- Assures hospitalist program delivers consistent, high quality patient care through solid partnerships with community providers.
- Leads development of patient-centered comprehensive care within the primary care network.
- Provides an environment of quality and cost improvement that is data driven and develops systems to review utilization of resources and objectively measure outcomes of care across the continuum within the inpatient setting, transitional care services, and the outpatient setting.
- Monitors physician and group patterns, presents data, analysis and interpretation to physicians and physician and hospital committees for review.
- Assures that quality management programs are carried out in all clinical areas through the development and implementation of effective disease management programs, clinical protocols and guidelines, other decision tools, and review of the outcomes.
- Develops a performance database incorporating JCAHO and other key quality indicators to provide leadership necessary to meet regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Partners and collaborates with the medical staff and management team, facilitating teamwork and shared goals.
- Helps represent medical staff viewpoints to administration and relay administrative views to medical staff.
- Provides strategic leadership by focusing teams and organization units on visions and distinctive strategies that result in excellent short and long-term performance in clinical, service and financial outcomes. Integrates evidence-based medicine practices wherever possible, building this into new and existing patient care delivery systems.
- Provides on-going counsel and advice to Executive Leadership regarding the medical staff on physician matters.
- In conjunction with and in support of the medical staff leadership, helps facilitate, intervenes and moderates major physician-physician, physician-patient, and physician-staff concerns with executive team members.
- Implements organizational structures which promote shared accountability, high achievement and compliance with applicable laws and regulations; this to include electronic linkages and care delivery tools.
- Ensures medical staff development plans and programs are implemented and maintained as required by policy.
- Integrates clinical care quality and management with nursing, operations and finance; partners with members of the senior management team, particularly the Chief Nursing Officer, in this endeavor.
- Dedicates resources and time to developing physician leadership in an incremental manner, with a focus on the existing medical staff officers and clinical chiefs.
Required Qualifications :
Qualifications for the CMO Chief Medical Officer
- MD or DO degree, completed residency training in a recognized specialty, board certification in the specialty of training and management (MBA, MHA, MMM, MPH) degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- Effective communicator; excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous practice experience.
- Proven leadership skills and accomplishments.
- Must have knowledge of hospital structure, operations, and infrastructure of quality and utilization.
- Requires expertise with medical staff processes, policies and procedures.
- Experience in managing, developing and mentoring physicians.
- Highly motivated in the areas of quality improvement and clinical transformation, with proven expertise in multiple aspects of healthcare such as quality assessment, peer review, delineation of clinical privileges, outcomes research, clinical profiling, evidence-based medicine and service quality.
Minimum of 5 years professional post-residency experience in direct patient care
Prior CMO or physician leadership experience is required